9:46 PM

To Hunker or not to Hunker...

Posted by amy |

...that is the question. Or was on Thursday, Sept 11 when news of hurricane Ike flashed across every news channel in Texas. After three previous false alarms its easy to understand why many Houstonians were taking the news so lightly. A possible category three hurricane brewing in the gulf. Possible landfall near Galveston. "Hunker Down" became the oh so popular and ever annoying phrase of the hour. Mandatory evacuations started around noon on Thursday. Galveston Island and several zip codes in Harris County and surrounding areas of Texas began packing up and heading out. Those not in a mandatory evacuation zone were asked to stay put in order to make room on the road for those needing to get out.

I sat on my living room couch watching the news and began thinking about what I should do. I've never been in a hurricane before, I thought to myself. In fact, I've never been in a natural disaster at all. The curious side of me was set to stay. The practical side of me decided I should probably do some consulting. My research proved profitable. My house isn't in a flood zone, all of my neighbors were planning to stay, I live right next door to work, which is also my church and a very safe structure if need be. So...that settled it. With hurricane Ike just days away the residents of BW #35 were hunkering down. The decision had been made. The next steps at this point were very important. First stop....Costco! When you need to stock up on food and water why go anywhere else. I mean, "stock up" is Costco's middle name.

When I pulled up in the parking lot at Costco I knew I was in for quite the adventure. From the parking lot to the door I saw at least 7 people trying to fit generators in their cars. Some had to be removed from their boxes in order to fit in people's trunk. Inside was even more interesting. People everywhere, carts loaded down, crowds, lines, etc. But Costco proved faithful yet again in great customer service. One of many reasons I love them so! I quickly found what I needed and made my way to the line, which by the way went down both sides of the store from the front registers all the way back to the cold section. I had a great time talking with the people around me, seeking advice from the hurricane vets. One lady suggested I fill my washing machine with ice in case we loose power...that was a new one. I amazingly made it through the crazy line in under 30 minutes. Costco employees were busy making sure everyone could find what they needed...and passing out fresh baked cookies all the while. Nice!

When I left Costco I was completely stocked with water, food, light sources and batteries. Basically everything I would need to make it through a worse case scenario type pf hurricane. I was so proud of myself! Next stop...fuel. This proved way more complicated and frustrating than the first stop. To make a long story short I went to six gas stations...and nothin'! I finally gave up and went into work. I woke up friday at 6am for no apparent reason and all I could think was 'go get fuel'. So I ventured out and happened to find some at my first stop. I was on "e" and just kept thinking about what if I need to get out after the hurricane if conditions proved dangerous or just plain frustrating. Which turned out to be a good decision. The tank was full, the supplies were stocked, now we wait...

Friday night was filled with movie watching, and an occasionally news update, while hanging with my roommate Julie and my friend Mia who lives in downtown Houston and was looking for a safer place to hide out during the storm. We finally headed to bed around 1am. Little did I know it would be the longest night of my life. The last thing I remembered from the news was "Brennen's" restaurant downtown burned to the ground after nearby transformer blew up. This was not a good thing to have on ones mind while lying in bed for six hours listening to howling winds, trees crashing to the ground and transformers exploding. My constant prayer all night was "Lord, please keep the windows from breaking and please don't let anything catch on fire!!"

I now sit in a cozy air conditioned home in Fort Worth, surrounded by friends, running water, hot food and freshly showered....amen! There's so much to be thankful for. Minus a long, scary night, some minor flooding on our enclosed porch and the brief loss of a/c and water, we escaped the fiercest of Ike's grip, unlike thousands of others who's belongings now lie scattered across lawns and who's power may not be returned for weeks. Lord, we ask for your nearness and comfort over those who have experienced great loss. May those who know you and love you extend great love to those who are in need at this time.

Here's a few pics from my first hurricane experience. The next time a hurricane threatens to come my way I will give leaving some serious thought. Turns out 'hunkering down' is not for the faint of heart...

This is the parking lot right outside my condo door. The blown out fence is the barrier between us and the bayou and separates us from the HFBC parking lot.


Our enclosed porch suffered a few inches of water on friday night, as well as saturday night.


Ike's winds tore down and uprooted many HUGE trees...it was an unbelievable sight.

HEB was one of literally two stores in the area with power. People had to wait in line and were being let in the door 20 at a time in order to control crowd craziness.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

The Dodds said...

Thanks for updating!!!! I'm so glad that everything is OK! Tyler and I were worried about you, but we also knew that the Lord would take care of you so well! Next time you don't feel like hunkering down... please come see us in Midland!

arich81 said...

aim, this is so random but you know the song "i will go" on the starfield album by the same name? that's been running through my mind so much since the storms.
i just know your heart for the less fortunate. it seems at times like this, the divide just becomes greater and greater! there will be so many opportunities to be the presence of Christ over the next weeks and months of recovery. i know you'll eat up every minute of it! be poured out sister!
"let me not be blind with privilege. give me eyes to see the pain. may the blessing you've poured out on me not be spent on me in vain. let this life be used for change."

Sarah said...

amen arich!

amy, the pictures make me want to cry (well, almost)! i can't believe that's "our" wall down! oh my, oh my...it's kinda hard to be away when everyone you love is suffering. were you scared? i can't wait to talk again!